Wednesday, June 13, 2012

The God of Peace



Tonight the boys were hyper and utterly exhausted. There were tears in the tub on multiple occasions that would be shortly followed by laughter. Max hit his back pretty hard on the faucet as he was getting out of the tub, so even after an ice pack, a band-aid (even though he wasn’t bleeding) and some pain reliever, he is still groaning in his bed. I am not quite sure if it is still hurting him, or if he is just milking the injury so he doesn’t have to sleep.

William has been weepy this evening, and he hurt himself as well. After songs, prayers, another run to the potty, and getting water for both, I finally made it out of their room. A few minutes later, Will started crying uncontrollably.
     “What do you need, Will?” I asked.
     “I need you!” was his reply.
So I knelt beside his bed, rubbed his legs and started praying in a whisper over him. For the first time, I then started whispering scripture to him. God’s words washed over him, and soothed his weary little spirit. Is he sleeping yet? No. Actually he is trying to start a conversation with his brother, who is getting very annoyed. But I did see a change in him, a peace that came over him while I spoke God’s love letter to him.

In Philippians 4:8-9, Paul says,

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy- think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me - put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.

Maybe part of my job as a mother is to intentionally direct the thoughts of my children to things that are true, noble, right, etc. What result can I expect? The God of peace will be with me and with my children. Seeing Will calm and relax tonight was seeing God soothe my boy with the lullaby of his love.

He was there.

No comments: